The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Shepherds pie with chicken and veg - for two days
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 1000 gramsbaking potato
- 2 onion
- 1 clovegarlic
- 400 gramscarrots*
- 2 tspcurry
- 800 gramschicken mince
- dried oregano
- 1 canchopped tomatoes
- 300 mlwater
- 140 gramstomato purée
- 400 gramspeas
- 1 cubevegetable stock
- 50 gramsbutter
- 300 mlmilk
- 2 apples
- 0.5 red bell pepper
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Shepherds pie is a true British classic that needs no introduction! This one is with chicken mince, but you're of course welcome to keep it classic with lamb. We're serving it with apple and bell pepper as snack veg. The recipe is designed for two days. Enjoy!
1. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees fan assisted.
2. Peel and roughly dice the potatoes. Boil until tender in a pot of unsalted water. This takes 15-20 minutes.
3. Finely chop onion and garlic. Peel and dice the carrots. Sweat onion, carrots and garlic in some olive oil in a deep pan or pot. Add curry, chicken mince and oregano. Season with salt and pepper and let cook until the mince is seared well.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, water, tomato purée, peas and stock cube. Let the sauce simmer while you get the mash ready.
5. Drain the potatoes, add butter and whisk well. Add milk until the mash has the consistency you like best. Be careful not to make it too firm - or you run the risk of it going dry when you bake it. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Season the chicken bolognese with salt and pepper and pour into a casserole dish. Spread mash on top, and bake for about 20 minutes, until the mash is nice and golden. Sprinkle some herbs on top, if you have some handy.
7. Rinse and de-seed apple and bell pepper, and cut into snack veggies.
8. Serve the yummy shepherds pie with snack veggies on the side - remember to save half the dish for tomorrow.
Tasks for younger kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help peel carrots and potatoes. They can also help taste the sauce and add the layer of mash.