The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Chili con pollo with rice and creme fraiche
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- wholegrain rice
- 2 onion
- 2 clovegarlic
- 2 red bell pepper
- 800 gramschicken fillet
- 2 cankidney beans
- 2 canchopped tomatoes
- 70 gramstomato purée
- 1 tbspcumin
- 1 tbspground coriander
- 0.5 tspground cinnamon
- 1 tspcocoa powder
- 150 gramsloose sweetcorn
- 200 mlcreme fraiche 18%
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Chili con carne is normally made with beef, but today we've swapped it for chicken (AKA pollo) and seasoned with lovely spices - and don't worry, cocoa and cinnamon aren't weird! It's actually surprisingly tasty in this dish. We're serving it with rice, creme fraiche and corn. Remember to save the leftovers for filling in tortillas tomorrow. Enjoy!
1. Cook the rice according to the packet.
2. Finely chop onion and garlic. Clean and rinse the bell peppers and dice them. Cut the chicken up into small chunks. Remember to wash your hands and utensils when you're done.
3. Now sautée onion and garlic in a dash of olive oil in a pot or deep pan. Add bell pepper and chicken and cook for a few minutes, until the chicken is seared.
4. Add kidney beans, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, cumin, ground coriander, cinnamon and cocoa powder (the unsweetened kind!) and bring the lot to the boil. Let it simmer for as long as you (and the kids) have patience for - ideally 10 minutes or more. Just remember to stir it occasionally, and make sure the pot doesn't cook dry.
5. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve the dish with rice topped with sweetcorn and creme fraiche.
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids clean and rinse the bell peppers and dice everything. They're also master pot-stirrers!