The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Chicken cordon bleu
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- Cordon bleu
- wholewheat pasta
- 1 ballmozzarella
- 4 slicecooked ham
- 800 gramschicken fillet
- dried oregano
- meat pins or toothpicks
- Asparagus salad
- 0.5 bunchgreen asparagus
- lettuce of your choice
- 6 radish
- 100 gramsfeta cubes
- 0.5 lemon
- olive oil
- sweet chilli sauce
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Cordon bleu is super yummy! It's usually made with breaded veal, but we've swapped the veal for chicken and left off the breading for a leaner version. But the filling is of course unchanged: ham and cheese. The dish is intended for two days. The leftover chicken goes in yummy rice paper rolls the following day.
1. Preheat your oven to 185 degrees fan assisted and cook the pasta according to the packet.
2. Cut the mozzarella into sticks and tightly roll a slice of ham around each stick. Cut pockets in half of the chicken fillets, season inside with salt and pepper and sprinkle with a bit of oregano. The other half we're cooking without filling, to use in our rice paper rolls tomorrow.
3. Pop a ham-mozzarella roll in each pocket and seal with a meat pin, toothpick or a bit of meat string. Season the fillets on the outside with salt and pepper. Remember to wash hands and utensils when you're done. Sear the chicken fillets on both sides in some olive oil on a pan. You only just want to lightly brown them.
4. Pop the fillets in the oven - either on the pan, if it's oven safe - or in a casserole dish. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through - saves you a bit of kitchen time. If weather permits, you can chuck the fillets on the grill.
5. Meanwhile, make a quick salad. Snap off the bottoms of the asparagus - they'll snap right where they're supposed to. It's super handy - we're fans of asparagus! Blanch in rolling boiling water for about 30 seconds - be careful not to overcook them, they'll get soft. Immediately blanch with cold water and cut into bite-sized chunks on a bias (diagonally).
6. Rinse and rip up the lettuce. Wash and slice radishes. Mix lettuce, radishes, asparagus and feta with a bit of olive oil and lemon juice - according to your own tastes.
7. Split the gorgeous cordon bleus, so you have a good piece for everyone. Serve with wholewheat pasta, sweet chilli sauce or ketchup and asparagus salad.
Save the cooked chicken fillets without filling for tomorrow, where they'll make for lovely filling in yummy rice paper rolls with Thai sauce.