The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Beef stroganoff with mash
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 500 gramspotatoes
- 300 gramscarrots*
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 250 gramsmushrooms
- 100 gramsdiced bacon- lardons
- 2 tsppaprika
- 600 gramsbeef strips
- 70 gramstomato purée
- 600 mlwater
- 1 cubebeef stock
- 50 gramsbutter
- 100 mlmilk
- 200 mlsingle cream
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Beef stroganoff is a delicious classic. For this recipe, we've snuck some carrots into the mash, and swapped the fatty whipping cream for 8% single cream. The recipe is designed for two days, and we're servingthe leftovers with wholegrain rice tomorrow. Enjoy!
1. Peel and roughly dice potatoes and carrots. Cook until tender in a pot of unsalted water. This should take approx. 15-20 minutes.
2. Finely chop the onion. Wash the bell pepper, remove the seeds and cut into thin strips. Clean, wash and slice the mushrooms.
3. Dice the bacon (if it's not already) and pop in a deep pan or pot. Switch on the hob, and let the bacon sear while you stir, until some of the fat has rendered. Add onion and paprika and cook for another couple of minutes.
4. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and let it sear. Once seared on all sides, add tomato purée, water, stock cube and mushrooms and let the lot simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes, or until the meat is tender.
5. Drain the water from the root veg, add the butter and whisk well with a whisk. Add milk until the mash has the consistency you like best. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Finally add red pepper and cream to the stroganoff, and bring to the boil. Serve with the yummy carrot and potato mash and a sprinkle of herbs as garnish (avoid herb garnishes for kids younger than 3), if you have some to hand.
If you'd like a leaner version, use a bit less butter and swap the single cream for milk. Remember to save the leftover stroganoff for dinner tomorrow. You can happily save the mash as well, if you have some left over. Otherwise just cook up a portion of wholegrain rice tomorrow.
You can absolutely buy beef strips to use, but it's often cheaper to pick up a couple of steaks and chop them up yourself - and often a bit more tender as well.