The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Beef mince with cabbage and potatoes - for two days
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 1 kgpotatoes
- 0.5 cabbage
- 400 gramscarrots*
- 2 onion
- 1 clovegarlic
- 2 tbsppaprika
- 2 tbspdried thyme
- 800 gramsbeef mince
- 1 litrewater
- 2 cubevegetable stock
- 2 tbspsweet chilli sauce
- olive oil
- pickled pumpkin or beets
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Cabbage is brilliant - especially dressed in child-friendly costumes. Both because our kids love the mild and crisp flavour, but also because cabbage is super cheap. Here we've made a mild stew with beef mince, cabbage, carrots and potatoes, which we're serving with Mambeno's pickled pumpkin - but you can also use pickled beets. The recipe is designed for two days.
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into smaller chunks. Rinse the cabbage and cut into strips. Peel the carrots, grate on the coarse side of a grater and set aside.
2. Dice the onion and finely chop the garlic. Sautée both in a pot with a bit of olive oil. Add cabbage, paprika, thyme and beef mince and stir well, until the meat is nicely seared.
3. Add potatoes, carrots, water and crumbled stock cube. Let the lot cook until the potatoes are tender, but be mindful it doesn't burn. If the potatoes have soaked up all the liquid, add some extra water.
4. Add sweet chilli sauce and season with salt and pepper.
5. Serve the dish with pickled pumpkin, or whatever you have of pickled goods.
If you want to jazz up the flavour a bit, add some extra spice. Such as curry, oregano or thyme.
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids cut up the potatoes and cabbage.