The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Wienerschnitzel with potatoes and butter sauce
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 600 gramspotatoes
- 400 gramscarrots*
- 300 gramsfrozen peas
- 4 ham or wienerschnitzels
- 1 egg
- 100 gramsbreadcrumbs
- grated horseradish
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
This recipe is VERY close to the one you would get in Austria; Wienerschnitzel with potatoes, cooked peas, butter sauce, capers and grated horseradish. Mmm, it's gonna be yummy! Enjoy!
1. Cook the potatoes in salted water, until they're just exactly tender when poked with a fork. Drain the water.
2. Peel the carrots, and cook with the peas for about five minutes, so the carrots still have some crunch.
3. Flatten the schnitzels with your fist. Beat the egg with a fork in a deep plate. Pour the breadcrumbs onto a deep plate and mix with a bit of salt and pepper. Now, first coat the schnitzels in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs. Cook the schnitzels on a pan in a mix of butter and olive oil. Remove the schnitzels from the pan, and pop another knob of butter onto the pan, and wait up until it's sputtering. Sprinkle some salt and pepper into the butter sauce.
4. Serve the schnitzels with potatoes, butter sauce, vegetables, capers, horseradish and a slice of lemon.
5. Guten Appetit!
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids peel the carrots and pour the peas into the pot. They can also help pound the schnitzels flat - for once they're allowed to punch their food. It's quite fun! Really a wienerschnitzel is made with veal, but you can't always find that at the supermarket. In this case, just grab a packet of ham schnitzels.