The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Wholewheat milk slices
( Approx. 16 )
- 3 egg
- 100 gramssugar
- 25 gramscocoa powder
- 0.5 tspbaking powder
- 50 gramsrye flour
- 1 tspvanilla sugar
- 300 gramscream cheese- plain
- 60 gramspowdered sugar
- 1 organic orange
- baking parchment
About the recipe
Milk slices equal childhood memories for most of us here at Mambeno - a true 90's classic! But believe it or not: This homemade version is much nicer than the kind you buy, and it's even wholewheat, but you wouldn't know that from tasting them... It doesn't have to be THAT healthy! Enjoy!
1. Separate the eggs into yolks and whites in two separate bowls. Whisk the egg whites with sugar until it's a fluffy mass. Then whisk the yolks until they lighten. Now carefully fold together the yolks and whites with a spatula.
2. Mix the dry ingredients and fold into the whisked egg. Then spread evenly onto a sheet pan lined with baking parchment. Bake the base for about 10 minutes, then let cool.
3. Meanwhile, mix cream cheese with powdered sugar, and zest the rinsed orange (this can be done on the fine side of a grater, if you don't have a zester) into it. Mix well.
4. Halve the base, and spread the cream cheese mix in an even layer onto one half, then carefully place the other half on top. Pop in the fridge for a couple of hours, then cut into your desired shapes and sizes.
5. And finally, it's munching time - enjoy!
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help whisk the egg yolks. They can also help mix the cream cheese filling, and are of course excellent tasters.