The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Shawarma with seared chicken and chips
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 3 tspcumin
- 2 tspdried coriander
- 500 gramschicken fillet
- 1 clovegarlic
- 1 tbspolive oil
- 0.5 lemon
- 0.5 tspsalt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 0.5 cucumber
- 1 onion
- 300 gramscarrots*
- 6 flatbreads or tortillas
- beet hummus
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
You don't need to frequent the local chippy to chow down on a juicy durum - you can make them yourself! Here we've made a version with chicken, veggies and hummus, which we're serving with easy chips. We've used beet hummus, but you can of course use the regular kind. Enjoy!
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees convection and cook the chips according to the bag - or make your own. Click the chefs' hat to get our easy recipe.
2. Toast cumin and coriander on a dry pan until it's nice and fragrant. Let the spices cool while you prep the meat.
3. Cut the chicken into strips. Mix the spices with the meat, pressed garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and salt in a freezer bag. Massage the spice mix well into the meat and let it quick-marinate while you prep veggies and dressing.
4. Now cook the chicken on a warm, dry pan - there's enough oil in the spice mix. You want the meat cooked through and with a nice sear.
5. Rinse and clean bell pepper and cucumber and slice both. Slice the onion into fine rings. Peel the carrots and grate them on the rough side of a grater.
6. Warm the flatbreads and place veggies, hummus, chicken and flatbreads on the table. Serve with crispy chips and dip.
7. Let the family assemble their very own favourite shawarma!
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help slice cucumber and bell pepper. They can also peel the carrots, and perhaps try grating them on the grater. If you don't exactly have time to be baking your own flatbreads, just nab a pack of tortillas in the supermarket - but do go for the wholewheat ones.