The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Rootza pizza with meatballs and onion
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- Pizza bases
- 300 gramsfresh beets*
- 300 gramscarrots*
- 600 gramsbaking potatoes
- 2 egg
- 50 gramsgrated cheese
- 2 onion
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 280 gramspizza sauce
- 500 gramsdinner sausage
- 150 gramsgrated cheese
- dried oregano- or thyme
- baking parchment
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Rootza pizza is a different kind of pizza than you're probably used to – but it's PACKED full of flavour. Believe it or not: The base is made from grated root veggies! We're topping the bases with meatballs made from dinner sausage, tomato, onion, and grated mozzarella. And feel free to make a little bet with yourself about whether the kids realise that the bases are pure veg. Enjoy!
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees over-under heat, with a baking tray on the bottom shelf. If you have a pizza stone, place it on the baking tray in the cold oven before you switch it on.
2. Peel beets, carrots and potatoes. Either grate on the coarse side of a grater or blend in a mini chopper or food processor. Wrap the grated veggies in a clean dishtowel (that's okay to be stained red and orange!) and wring out the juices.
3. Place the veggies in a bowl with eggs, cheese and a pinch of salt and pepper, and mix well.
4. Divide the "dough" into four piles on two baking trays lined with baking parchment. Press the bases flat and push the edges in a bit – they should be about 15-20 cm in diameter. Bake the bases for about 10-15 minutes, until the edges are browned.
5. Meanwhile, peel the onions and cut into rings. Rinse and slice the tomatoes.
6. Spread tomato sauce onto the bases – leaving the outermost centimeter bare. Cut a hole at the end of the dinner sausage and squeeze out little meatballs, and spread them out onto the pizzas along with onion, tomato slices, grated cheese and oregano or thyme. If you have dinner sausage left over, cook it whole or as meatballs in some olive oil on a pan, and serve with the pizza or save for packed lunches.
7. Bake the pizzas for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is golden and the crust crispy.
8. Yum, time to munch away. Enjoy!
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help peel the veggies. They can also add sauce to the bases and help add the toppings.