The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Lady and the Tramp style meatballs – with snack veg
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 1 onion
- 1 clovegarlic
- 1 bunchfresh basil
- 500 gramsbeef mince
- 0.5 tbsppaprika
- 0.5 tbspdried oregano
- 1 egg
- 2 canchopped tomatoes
- 400 gramswholewheat pasta
- 300 gramsmacaronihorn
- 0.5 cucumber
- 100 gramsparmesan
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Here's the recipe for easy and delicious meatballs in a dense tomato sauce – of course served with spaghetti, just like in Lady and the Tramp! We're serving the lot with parmesan cheese on top, and snack veggies on the side. And then see if you're able to recreate the iconic nose-nudging moment... Enjoy!
1. Peel onion and garlic, rinse basil and give it all a spin in a mini chopper – or finely chop it using a sharp knife.
2. Now mix mince with half of your chopped onion mix, paprika, oregano, egg, and some salt and pepper. We suggest using your hands, it's usually easier. You want the farce the same consistency as thick porridge.
3. Wet your hands with water and shape meatballs the size of small golf balls from the farce. Fry on a pan with olive oil until seared, but not cooked through. Remember to wash hands and utensils after handling raw meat. Set the meatballs aside.
4. Sweat the other half of your onion mix in a dash of olive oil in a deep pan or large pot. Add chopped tomatoes and stir well. Now gently place the meatballs into the sauce and bring to the boil. Remember to pop a lid on, as tomato sauce has a tendency to sputter quite aggressively!
5. Let meatballs and sauce simmer for 5-10 minutes or so, or until the meatballs are cooked through. Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet.
6. Peel carrots, rinse the cucumber and cut both into sticks.
7. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, and serve the yummy meatballs with wholewheat pasta, grated parmesan and snack veggies. Enjoy!
Tasks for younger kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help cut the snack veggies. They can also grate the parmesan.