The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Italian potato casserole with tomato and egg
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 300 gramspotatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 courgette
- 0.5 tbsppaprika
- 2 canchopped tomatoes
- 70 gramstomato purée
- 0.5 tbspdried oregano
- 4 egg
- 1 wholewheat baguette
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
This dish is super simple and rustic, as though we were in the Italian countryside. And the recipe is completely meat-free! It's just crispy potatoes and veg in a reduced tomato sauce with egg on top. Enjoy!
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees convection.
2. Peel the potatoes and dice them into 1 cm cubes. Finely chop the onion and roughly dice the washed courgette and, if you have some in the fridge, slice a few sticks of celery - but they can definately be left out. Cook the veggies with paprika for about 5 minutes in some olive oil in a deep, oven-safe pan. Remember to stir frequently.
3. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and oregano and let the whole thing simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. The tomatoes can get a bit spluttery when they start to boil, so you might want to pop a lid on the pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Once the tomatoes have reduced a bit, create small craters with a spoon. Crack an egg into each crater, and pop the pan into the oven for approx. 15 minutes, or until the eggs are as sunny or cooked through as your family likes! Season with some salt and pepper, and mind your fingers when taking out the pan - it's super hot!
5. Warm the baguette and serve with the tasty reduced tomato sauce, potatoes and egg. Garnish with a sprinkle of herbs, if you have some to hand.
If you have leftover celery, use it as snack veggies throughout the week.