The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Huevos Rancheros with fried eggs
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 1 onion
- 1 clovegarlic
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tbsppaprika
- 0.5 tbspcumin
- 0.5 tbspdried coriander
- 1 canchopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsptomato purée
- 100 mlwater
- 1 tinkidney beans
- 4 egg
- wholewheat tortillas
- 2 avocado
- 200 mlcreme fraiche 18%
- 1 lime
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Hu.. Ho.. He.. Awhatnow? Huevos Rancheros is originally a Mexican breakfast dish, but we're taking the liberty of serving it a bit later in the day. Because this dish is a perfect vegetarian and family-friendly dinner: Warm tortillas topped with yummy filling and fried eggs. Enjoy!
1. Dice onion and garlic. Clean and dice the bell pepper. Sautée the lot on a pan in a bit of olive oil. Add paprika, cumin and coriander and let it all cook for a couple of minutes.
2. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, water and kidney beans, and let simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Crack the eggs on a warm pan with some olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, fry the eggs, and move them to a plate.
4. Warm the tortillas on a pan or in the oven. Slice the avocado and drizzle with some lime juice, so it doesn't go brown. Pour creme fraiche in a small bowl and cut lime into wedges.
5. Set everything on the table, and now assemble your favourite Huevos Rancheros by placing a tortilla on your plate and topping with your favourite filling. They can be eaten open-faced with a knife and fork (this way you can compete over whose plate looks nicest), or they can be rolled up into a wrap.
6. Buen provecho... or just: Enjoy!
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help slice the bell pepper. They can also crack the eggs onto the pan and cut the avocado.