The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Hot dogs with home pickled beets and onion
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 400 gramsfresh beets*
- 2 red onion
- 100 mlvinegar
- 50 mlsugar
- 0.5 tspsalt
- 0.5 tbspdried thyme
- 8 grill sausage
- 8 hot dog buns
- 4 spring onions
- 400 gramscarrots*
- 200 gramsedamame beans- or peas
- dijon mustard
- fried onions
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Hot dogs are an international classic - and make for easy and delicious dinner, with endless possibilities. We've challenged the traditional version and jazzed it up a bit with home pickled beets and red onion with thyme. They're super tasty, and extra juicy. Enjoy!
1. Peel the beets, and grate on the coarse side of a grater. Peel the onions and cut into wedges. Pour vinegar, sugar, salt and thyme in a pot and bring to the boil along with beets and onion.
2. Let the lot simmer for 5-7 minutes, and season the brine with salt and pepper. Pop the pot in the fridge until dinnertime.
3. Roast the sausages on a pan - or chuck them on the grill, if weather permits! Warm the buns in the oven.
4. Rinse and thinly slice the spring onion into fine rings.
5. Peel and cut the carrots into sticks for snack veggies. Cook the edamame beans according to the packet.
6. Serve the hot dogs with pickled beets and onion, ketchup, mustard, fried onions and spring onion on top. You can of course always just use whatever topping you like best!
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help roast the sausages. They can also help taste the brine, and plate the toppings into small bowls.