The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Flash fried chicken with cashews
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- wholegrain rice
- 70 gramscashews
- 1 lemongrass
- 300 gramschicken fillet
- 2 tbspcorn flour
- 300 gramscarrots*
- 2 spring onions
- 1 onion- ideally red onion
- 1 canbaby corn
- 2 tbspoyster sauce
- 1 tbspfish sauce
- 300 mlwater
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Thai food is delicious, and a hit with loads of kids. And the roast cashews on top of this dish only makes it even tastier and more kid-friendly. Enjoy!
1. Cook the rice according to the packet. Heat a good dash of olive oil in a wok or deep pan. Roast the cashews in the oil for a few minutes, or until they're golden. Remove and place on some kitchen roll.
2. Remove the outer leaf and bottom of the lemongrass. Roughly slice the bottom white bit. You don't need the green top, so you can chuck that away. Thinly slice the chicken, sprinkle with corn flour and season with salt and pepper - remember to wash your hands and cutting board. Cook lemongrass and chicken at high heat until the chicken is almost cooked through. Set chicken and lemongrass aside on a plate.
3. Peel the carrots and cut into diagonal bite-sized chunks. Wash the spring onion and roughly dice. Quarter the onion and separate every layer. Drain and roughly dice the corn.
4. Flash fry all the veg for 1-2 minutes and then add oyster sauce, fish sauce and water. Reheat the sauce and if needed, thicken with some more corn flour stirred into water in a cup, if you think it's a bit too thin. Serve with piping hot rice, cashews and an optional bit of basil if you have some knocking about your kitchen. Remember that lemongrass isn't to be eaten, just to add flavour. Enjoy!
If you can't find a packet with 300 grams of chicken fillets, just grab whatever comes closest. Whether it's 280 or 350 doesn't make a huge difference.