The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Falafels with yummy couscous salad
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 1 bunchparsley
- 1 onion
- 1 clovegarlic
- 1 canchickpeas
- 2 tspcumin
- 2 tspdried coriander
- 1 egg
- 25 gramsbreadcrumbs
- 1 tspsalt
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 avocado
- 100 gramsblack olives
- 75 gramssundried tomatoes
- wholewheat baguette
- 150 mlcreme fraiche- or skyr
- 3 tbspred pesto
- oil for frying
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Falafels are so tasty - a sort of vegetarian meatball with exotic spices, that the kids love. We've served them with yummy couscous salad. Enjoy!
1. Cook the couscous - or rice - according to the packet.
2. Rinse the parsley and remove the stems. Roughly chop onion and garlic. Drain the water from the chickpeas and rinse them in cold water. Then dry them as much as possible on a clean dishtowel and pour into a bowl along with parsley, onion, garlic, cumin, coriander, egg, breadcrumbs, salt and a dash of pepper. Mash everything into a coarse mass with a hand blender. You can also use a food processor, but be careful not to blend it too much, as the mass can become too thin.
3. Heat enough oil in a deep pan to at least cover the falafels halfway. The oil is hot enough, when you lower a little teaspoon of falafel mass into it and it sizzles. Now shape round falafels with your hands, like when making meatballs. If the falafel mass is too wet, add some more breadcrumbs, if it's too dry, give it another egg.
4. IMPORTANT: Don't wet your hands with water, as it will make the oil sputter. If the falafel mass is sticking, put some flour or breadcrumbs on your hands instead to shape the falafels. Fry the falafels in the oil. Flip them halfway through, and be careful the oil doesn't get too hot. Place the crispy fried falafels on a bit of kitchen roll to drip off.
5. Rinse and dice the bell pepper. Split the avocado, remove the stone and dice the flesh. Mix couscous, avocado, bell pepper, olives and sundried tomatoes to a salad. Warm the baguette in the oven or on a toaster. Mix creme fraiche or skyr with red pesto, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve the crispy falafels with couscous salad, baguettes and pesto dressing. Enjoy!
If you're low on kitchen time, you can pick up frozen falafels from the supermarket.
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids dice the bell pepper and avocado. They can also mix and taste the dressing.