The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Easy nuggets with chips and tartar sauce
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 700 gramsbaking potatoes
- 1 tbspall purpose seasoning
- 100 gramsplain flour
- 2 egg
- 500 gramschicken fillet
- 100 gramsbreadcrumbs
- oil for frying
- 200 mlcreme fraiche or skyr*
- 2 tbspmayonnaise
- 2 tspdijon mustard
- 0.5 cucumber
- 300 gramscarrots*
- acacia honey*
- baking parchment
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Most kids love nuggets - usually the ones from McDonald's or the chippy. But they're no hassle to make at home. Whip them up on a Friday or Saturday night, when you have a bit more time and want a proper night in. Here we've served the nuggets with chips, snack veggies and tartar sauce for dipping. Enjoy!
1. Preheat the oven to 225 degrees convection. Thoroughly wash the potatoes and cut them into chips. If the spuds are very dirty, give them a once-over with the peeler. Put the potatoes in a bowl and rinse a few times in cold water. This removes some of the starch from the potatoes and makes the chips extra lovely and soft on the inside.
2. Dry the potatoes with a clean dishtowel and place them on a baking tray covered with baking parchment. Turn them in a good splash of olive oil and all-purpose seasoning and bake for 30-40 minutes, until crispy and golden. Remember to flip the chips halfway through. If you really want to get a party going, you can choose to fry the chips in oil.
3. Mix the flour with salt and pepper in a bowl. Beat the eggs in a separate bowl. Cut the fillets into bite-sized pieces and turn them in flour first, shaking off the excess. Following that, dunk the chicken into the egg mix on both sides. Get rid of the rest of the flour, and put the breadcrumbs in the bowl in its place. Finish by dunking the chicken bites in the breadcrumbs, and remember to wash your hands and kitchen utensils when you're done.
4. Heat the oil in a pot or deep pan. You can check if the oil is hot enough by poking the back end of a match (the end that doesn't light!) into the oil. If it sizzles, it's hot enough. Fry the nuggets until golden, flipping them halfway through. Let them dry off on a bit of kitchen roll.
5. Now for the tartar sauce. Chop a handful of gherkins very finely. In a pinch, you can use pickle slices as well. Stir in with skyr, mayo, dijon mustard, and add salt, pepper, and a bit of acacia honey to taste.
6. Rinse the cucumber, peel the carrots and cut them into sticks for snack veggies. Serve the yummy nuggets with chips, snack veggies, and tartar sauce for dipping. Enjoy!