The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Cottage pie with sweet potato slices
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 800 gramssweet potatoes
- 400 gramscarrots*
- 6 stickcelery*
- 2 onion
- 2 clovegarlic
- 2 tspcurry
- 800 gramsbeef mince
- dried oregano- or thyme
- 300 mlwater
- 70 gramstomato purée
- 4 tbspworcestershire sauce
- 300 gramsedamame beans- or peas
- 1 cubebeef stock
- 200 gramsgrated cheese
- olive oil
ADD TO MEAL PLAN
About the recipe
Cottage pie is a lot like the Irish classic, shepherds pie - the main difference being that the cottage pie uses beef, where shepherds pie uses lamb. This is a true comfort food classic in the UK - here is our slight twist on it. Enjoy!
1. Preheat your oven to 220 degrees convection.
2. Scrub or peel the potatoes. Very thinly slice them, or run them through a mandolin - but do remember to watch your fingers! Save the potato slices for later.
3. Peel the carrots and roughly dice them. Rinse celery and cut into smaller pieces. Finely chop onion and garlic. Sautée onion and garlic in a dash of olive oil in a deep pan or pot. Add curry, beef and oregano (or thyme). Season with salt and pepper and cook until the mince is seared well.
4. Add water, tomato purée, worcestershire sauce, edamame beans or peas, diced carrots, celery and crumbled stock cube.
5. Season the sauce with salt and pepper to taste, and pour into a casserole tin. Place the potato slices on top like a lid, and sprinkle with grated cheese on top. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the potatoes are nice and golden.
6. Serve the gorgeous pie with worcestershire sauce - and optionally a dollop of ketchup, if you really want to be popular with the kids.
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help cut the celery. They can also help with applying the potato lid to the pie.