The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Child-friendly chilli cheese tops
( 20 )
- 0.5 red bell pepper
- 200 gramsgrated cheddar
- 3 egg
- 100 gramsplain flour
- 100 gramsbreadcrumbs
- oil for frying
About the recipe
Here we've whipped up a tasty (and sinful!) and slightly different version of the oh so familiar chilli cheese tops. We've swapped chillies for bell pepper, so as to not set the youngest palates ablaze - and they are super tasty. Enjoy!
1. Rinse and clean the bell pepper. Very finely dice it, or give it a whirl in the mini chopper. Mix the bell pepper and grated cheese.
2. Beat the eggs in a deep plate and pour flour and breadcrumbs on separate flat plates.
3. Shape small balls from the cheese by compacting it well. If the cheese is too cold, you can give it a couple of seconds in the microwave, so it's easier to mould.
4. First, coat the balls in flour, then egg (make sure they're completely covered in egg), then breadcrumbs, then egg again, and finally breadcrumbs. That is, flour, egg, breadcrumbs, egg, breadcrumbs. That's what we call a proper breading!
5. Heat up a pan with plenty of oil, or use a deep fryer. The oil is hot enough, when it sizzles when you dip a bit of bell pepper in, for example. Cook the balls until golden brown.
6. Serve the yummy pepper cheese tops as snacks with sweet chilli sauce, veggies, or on the side of whatever you fancy.
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids help beat the eggs. They can also help shape the cheese balls.