The recipe has been added to your shopping list.
Bolognese with beets, mushrooms and spring onion
( 2 adults and 2 kids )
- 5 spring onions
- 1 clovegarlic
- 50 gramsmushrooms
- 500 gramsbeef mince
- 1 tbsppaprika
- 10 pickled beets
- 1 canchopped tomatoes
- 1 tbspdried oregano- or thyme
- 70 gramstomato purée
- 100 mlwater
- wholewheat pasta
- olive oil
About the recipe
It might sound odd to put pickled beets in a bolognese, but it's just SO tasty! They give both a sweet and acidic twist to the dish, which our kids love. Enjoy!
1. Rinse, clean and slice the spring onion into rings - use the green tops as well. Finely chop the garlic. Clean and quarter the mushrooms. Finely chop the beets.
2. Sautée spring onion and garlic in a large, deep pan or pot in a bit of olive oil. Add mushrooms and stir well. Add beef mince, paprika and beets and let the lot get nice and brown on all sides.
3. Now add chopped tomatoes, oregano, tomato purée and water, and let the bolognese simmer with the lid on for as long as your patience allows! At least 10 minutes, but preferably longer. Do remember to periodically check if there's enough moisture - if the bolognese is getting cooked dry, simply add more water.
4. Cook the pasta according to the packet.
5. Season the bolognese to taste with salt and pepper and serve atop the piping hot pasta - optionally with a sprinkle of grated cheese and herbs, if you have some to hand. Do avoid herb sprinkles for children younger than 3.
Tasks for kids in the kitchen: Let your kids clean the mushrooms and quarter them. If you have an apron (!!!), they can also chop the beets.